Co-chair, Bills and Melinda Gates Foundation
Country of citizenship: USA
Net Worth : $67 Billion (March-2013) -forbes.
Birth Date: October-28, 1955
Birth Place: Seattle, Washington
Father: William H. Gates, Sr
Mother: Mary Maxwell Gates
Ancestry: English, German and Scotsirish
Siblings: Elder sister, Kristi (Kristianne), and Younger Sister, Libby
Wife: Melinda French (Married on January 1, 1994)
Children: Daughters Jennifer Katharine (b. 1996) and Phoebe Adele (b. 2002) and Son Rory John (b. 1999)
While in high school, Gates wrote his first computer program about an implementation of tic-tac-toe that allowed users to play games against the computer. Then he designed a class scheduling program so that he could take courses with the prettiest girls in his school. He also started Traf-O-Data, a computer traffic analysis company.
At age, 19, Gates dropped out of pre-law at Harvard University (one of the famous drop out in history) to pursue his interest in computer technology. Gates and his friend Paul Allen Wrote a condensed operating language, which they licensed to a computer manufacturer. From this success Gates and Allen established Microsoft Corporation in 1975.
|Young Bill Gates|
Into the big leagues: in 1980 IBM-the computer industry leader-asked Gates to develop an operating system for its new personal computer. Gates bought a system from a small company for $50,000. He revamped it and licensed it to IBM for $125,000. The system was called MS-DOS, for Microsoft Disk Operating System. Because Gates retained ownership of MS-DOS, he was in a position to market the system to other companies. In 1981 IBM unveiled its PC, setting off the personal computer boom. MS-DOS became the dominant operating system in the market.
Microsoft went public in 1986, and the stock did better than expected. Gates, who owned 45 percent of the company, became a millionaire several hundred times over. A hundred shares bought for $2100 in march 1986 were worth $77,850 in February 1993.
Continuing Success: At age 38, Bill Gates had an estimated net worth of $7 Billion. Up graded version of MS-DOS, Windows an operating program featuring simplified commands and eye-catching graphics, swept the market. By 1993 Windows was selling 1 million copies a month, and Microsoft operating systems ran nearly 90 percent of the world's PCs.
Amazing Facts of Bill Gates
- Bill Gates earns $250 Us Dollars every second, that’s about 20 million a day and $7.2 billion a year!If he drops a thousand dollars on the floor, he wouldnot bother to pick it up because in the four seconds he attempt to pick it up, he would have already made his money back.He can donate US $15 to everyone on earth but still be left with US $5 million for his pocket money.If Microsoft windows’ users can claim US$1 for every time their computers hang because of Microsoft Windows, bill gates will be bankrupt in 3 days
- “Don't compare yourself with anyone in this
world...if you do so, you are insulting yourself.” - Bill Gates
- “I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft.” -Bill Gates
- “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” - Bill Gates
- “The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.” -Bill Gates
- “Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.” -Bill Gates
- “Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates
- “Computers are great because when you're working with them you get immediate results that let you know if your program works. It's feedback you don't get from many other things.” -Bill Gates
Would you like to read more interview with famous personality: click here (list of interview)